Thursday, December 20, 2012

       Today marks 3 weeks since Abbey's liver transplant.  I had one of those go to the other room and cry my eyes out moments yesterday.  I just don't think I have really begun to process all that we have went through for the last 25 days.  I feel overwhelmed as I look back and see how so many things have just "happened".  I know that this was just not luck I can see the hand of our Heavenly Father at each step. 

      One thing that I would like to share is the experience that we have had with our liver doctor.  The other day before he left for vacation he visited Abbey.  As they were talking he handed her a Christmas present that he said his children had also helped in picking out because they had heard her story.  His young son was so glad that Abbey was able to "put on her new liver".  He has been the type of doctor that has just sat at Abbey's bedside and talked to her.  He has answered her questions and just listened to her concerns.  They have become fast friends.  As he gave her the present he said Abbey I want to thank you for teaching me.  She looked at him like what could I have possibly taught a doctor.  He said that the Sunday that we arrived he had to tell your parents that you would need a liver transplant.  There was no hesitation as he said your dad looked me straight in the eyes and said she has had a priesthood blessing that angels would watch over her and we have faith in this blessing.  As he went home that night he related to us that he only slept about 20 minutes and was watching your vitals through the night.  As you were put on the liver transplant list he was told that your ward, family and community were holding a special fast on Tuesday.  That night he had the most profound feeling come over him that everything would be alright.  And then the next morning he was informed that a donor liver had been found.  He said Abbey I want to thank you for reminding me that I am only a doctor and that I need to listen to the spirit and have faith in our Heavenly Father. 

     As we were being discharged from Primary Children's Hospital on Tuesday one thing Abbey had wanted was to have music therapy visit her.  Right after her transplant they had been in her room singing to her and she had opened her eyes and smiled.  As they were removing her last surgery drain they came in and sang her favorite artist Taylor Swift songs to her.  As they sang "White Horse" tears just ran down my face as she laid there relaxed and smiling after the trial that she had endured. 


  

    We are now at the Ronald McDonald House in an apartment that is used for long term immunosuppressed patients.  We are so grateful for this place to come to while we wait for the release to go home. 

           I can't express in words how thankful I am for everything that has been done both seen and unseen on our behalf.  Randy has kept the road busy between home and SLC trying to help the kids at home and have things ready for Abbey.  It seems like each night one of the kids or he will call and tell me what a great meal was brought in or that someone had brought a card by with money or just stopped them to ask about Abbey and to let us know they are praying for us.  It makes me even more homesick because I realize now more than ever what a great community we live in.  Like Alyssa said tonight on the phone she just can't stop thinking about how these acts of kindness help so much and that she will take the example of all of you to make herself a more compassionate person.  I couldn't agree more.

We love you all,
The Owen's 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Abbey is doing so good! I cant wait till she comes back to school! we mill her and it just isnt the same without her!!!! she is a good friend.
    love, makayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry that was supposed to say miss not mill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I miss abbey so bad and can't wait to see her or at least talk to her. I've almost gotten used to her not being there, which is not good! I miss her and love her so much! She is the awesomest friend ever
    love, emma/mark#4

    ReplyDelete